View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  
Rickh54

Good day friends,
Returned home from 2 weeks in Europe on Friday nite. Exhausted but really did have a great trip to Paris, Bruges and Amsterdam.
As I mentioned, we travelled with my cousin and his wife. Both drinkers.
I saw so much of my previous self in him it was uncanny. Around lunch time he was getting anxious. Wanted to have lunch so that he could have 2 or 3 glasses of wine. Then fine for a couple of hours and had to stop for a rest, more wine or beer.
Pre-dinner drinks, drinks with dinner. You have all seen this movie.
I was so frustrated. The time and expense of sitting with him while he drank was too much for me. A coke was about $10 in Paris. We went our seperate ways for about 4 days off and on. So relaxing, we covered so much more ground, stopped for a quick sandwich and carried on.
Seeing his moods change as the days progressed made me so much more determined to abstain and live a sober life. The liquor controlled his Europe vacation. Told him when and where he was going to be and for how long.
Very freakin sad to think I lived so many years doing the exact same thing. NEVER AGAIN. I know I am only to think in terms of 24 hours but that doesnt work for me. I have to think long term.
As I round the corner to 11 months on the 12th, I thank you all for your support and kind words. Congrats to all of you that are perservering with me. Well done. Kick ass and take no prisoners. Proud of you.
Rick