Old 10-06-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Climber122

I applaud you for being rigorously honest with yourself about your motivations. I think you already know what you want/have to do but are reluctant to go forward with it, and that's understandable.

We do all sorts of things in addiction which don't make sense when we get sober because we are evaluating it with a different set of values. That said, you are early in sobriety and these kinds of changes are hard to make.

I wonder if it would be possible for you to have one of those "deep talks" with him, although you haven't had this kind of talk before? If you are to discover a new way to be with him or even decide to end it, it would wise to do so through talking honestly about your feelings and getting his take on it.

If you are spiritually inclined, ask for peace and clarity for the Will that supersedes yours. Just honestly seeking the answer is good enough, and know that worrying about the stress of whatever your decision is will not correlate to a need to drink again. You will get peace from a careful, humble and loving deliberation on the problem, not from evading the problem or your feelings around it through substance use. Learning to live sober is learning that our feelings, even negative ones are ok - that there is a healthy way to handle tough situations. Just stay with it and keep communication open with him. Share at meetings too - it helps