View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by NanB View Post
I don't romanticize wine - and I'm terrified of even tasting it in food because I have actually fully accepted that I can never drink again and just don't want anything to do with it. I never ever want to feel drunk nor do I ever want another hangover again!

I just sometimes get tired of having to always be on guard to not eat it in food accidentally and I feel like I can never forget that I'm an alcoholic. Even just having dinner out - it's always there lurking.
You say you accept you never can drink again, but I don't see how you have decided that you never will drink again. That is a different outlook, that sobriety is a choice, rather than being prevented from drinking, more of an imposition.

Once that happens, tasting it in food is no threat because it can't make you drunk or hungover. And there is nothing to be on guard about. You don't drink anymore, ever. Done. Alcohol is nothing to be afraid of, just never consumed.

Believing in yourself is a great help in this, believing that you will succeed and nothing can stop you from reaching your goal. Especially not an open bottle.