View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Stayingsober72

Originally Posted by NanB View Post
Hi -

I'm new to this forum but have been completely sober since 9/19/11. Sometimes I really get exhausted from being hypervigilant all the time. My poison of choice was wine, and my life was built around enjoying great food and wine with my husband and friends.

Sometimes I STILL get totally irritated by having to be hypervigilant about wine in food, wine at the table, wine wine wine EVERYWHERE. I live in northern California, so wine is all over the place.

Does anyone else get exhausted from being on guard all the time?

Hey Nan,

I'm a half hour from Napa Valley. Wine is part of the local culture for sure. I live in a tiny town that has no store-but it does have two bars within walking distance. All of my "friends" are at the bar. Sometimes I have to take it in ten minute increments to fight off the urge to go down there. I breathe, I cry. It is exhausting. But at the end of the day, I know I will go to bed and sleep well and the next day will not be anywhere as exhausting than if I had been drinking the night before. It will get better. For now, I am drinking tons of sparkling water to replace alcohol. It helps me feel as if I'm having something yummy in place of drinks. I wish you the best.