View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Newpathway

Originally Posted by YuriO View Post
I'm in a similar mood this weekend, amnesiac. Today is 67 or 68, I'm not exactly sure, and yesterday I had the most persistent persuasive cravings that I've had since I quit. I don't know if it's the fall weather, or what it is, but today has been difficult too.

I feel great, I look good, and my life is going much better than when I was drinking, so I've been telling myself. I've been likening this discomfort to growing pains. When I get past this, I'll be entering an even better and easier phase. Like you, though, I'm a little surprised to meet such a big challenge over two months into recovery.
I am just over 2 months and today had my first real desire to drink. I also think it's the fall and an enjoyable Saturday and some reminders of how I love the fall and used to love to start drinking early on a Saturday afternoon.

Tonight I feel empty. No need for me to be feeling empty but I think I'm just beginning to understand the reality of living a normal life and some very mundane times that are actually healthy down times and opportunities for relaxing. In my drinking life I never allowed it...I would drink to spice things up. A slow paced, restorative weekend is something I now need to perceive differently and not as mundane but as how a balanced life actually is.

The memory of horrible withdrawals, hangovers and general exhaustion I felt from drinking is fading as time passes. They had served as a useful tool .... created an aversion to drinking. Now comes the real challenge to continue a commitment to not drink just because it's the way it's going to have to be from here on in.

All the best in the days ahead!