View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
micealc

little fish....brilliant.....if this plan is followed...no drink only happiness..I eventually realized that I had to approach social events with alcohol in an entirely new way. Sort of like jumping out of an airplane with a parachute into a war zone!
Preparedness:
1 - have a ready answer as to why I am not drinking
2 - am comfortable with the answer, even if it something of a fib, who cares? If I tell someone I am taking a medicine that doesn't mix with alcohol, and it isn't exactly true, it is worth doing if it saves my sobriety.
3 - would I be comfortable bringing a sober buddy?
4 - do I have my own transportation or exit plan so I can leave the instant I am not comfortable?
5 - if non alcoholic beverages may not be available, prepare to bring your own.
6 - don't forget to look around for the "sober table", the folks who might be driving or don't drink, there are actually quite a few of those folks. And that table tends to get more fun as the evening progresses!
7 - enjoy the moments. Live in the moment, something that is usually impossible with alcohol. Savor the food. Savor the conversations. Be happy that you aren't forgetting where you left your car keys, car, wallet, purse, jacket, shoes....
8 - visualize the next morning when you can wake up early and enjoy a morning walk, a run, a non-hungover sunrise...
and keep reminding yourself: yes, you can do this!..