Thread: Anonymous
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2005, 03:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EdLova

Anonimity-Does it really mean that everytime I go out in public with my Big Book I have to throw away the paper cover out of fear that someone might see that I am an alcoholic because I have a book that says "ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS"?

man look how fearful and crazy some of us can get when we don't drink.I know I have experience with this..The objective of the steps is to get you connected with God and in order to do that your first step shows you the truth..It's your responsibility to do something with that truth..It stays with you until death..the problem is that a guy like me has so much trouble trying to remember that kind of stuff on his own..So a guy like me needs to stay in touch with that "THING" that's keeping him away from the solution that no longer works..

So in order to do that I have to follow the order that allows me to illuminate the roadblocks (resentments) I put between me and that power..and all those roadblocks are a product of my identity..the ego if you will..I have a responsibility to apply the formula of the steps into my life over and over again as a way living that works for me in order to stay in touch with that Power that is keeping me seperated from alcohol.

I am anonymous because I dont have the identity that keeps me blocked from that which is keeping me sober..therefore an alcoholic anonymous..In
the forward to the first in 1939 they said "it is important that we remain anonymous because we are too few"..back then they didn't have world confrences and meetings on ever city and town..the cool fact of it now is that NOW in the present more has been revealed to us (that includes numerous resources that allow us to get in touch with fellow AA members; inculding this forum)

So what is the fear behind people (nonalcoholics) discovering that I am an alcoholic..BIG DEAL..The opposite of a mystic is a lunatic..And we are DEFINITELY NOT MYSTICS..so why are we trying so desperately to hide what we are from those who do not understand? Is that the way to live that works for you? Then ok..if it works do it..

I can't live under the guise of a cult-member mentality it doesn't work for me..Now does this mean I will go to CNN and tell millions of viewers about my experience, strength, and hope? NO!

The purpose of that is to serve the alcoholic who still suffers..The ONLY thing that seperates the alcoholic from the nonalcoholic is the phenomenon of CRAVING..period..that's it!

We are nothing special or nothing profound..Alcohol is not the only way to God..It's just the one that worked for me..And if someone finds out about that (including my boss) I don't care..At least I know that I will be honest enough to not run and hide from the consequences..As God's people we stand on our feet, we don't crawl before anyone..