View Single Post
Old 10-03-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
PurpleKnight

Ultimately I wouldn't go, but if you're going, my sister got married before the summer, and I picked up a few things:

-If it's at a hotel, there will always be the opportunity to go for a walk, outside for some air, to the rest room, or simply walk around the hotel.
-The amount of non drinkers is staggering, I never realised this until I got Sober, elderly relatives/guests or those with religious reasons are great for passing an hour of conversation without the pressure of drinking, one of the bridesmaids at my sister's wedding didn't drink and being in my age range, we ended up talking a lot, at the end of the day she was bored and glad of the company with everyone else at the bar.
-Have what you're going to say when offered a drink planned well in advance, don't leave it until the moment.
-Have an escape plan, how do you excuse yourself if things get too much.
-Focus on the reason you are there, weddings shouldn't be about drinking, you're celebrating the marriage, not on a night out clubbing.
-Most weddings now have a non alcoholic toasting option alongside sparkling wine, this was another new thing for me I hadn't realised.
-Have a non alcoholic drink to hand at all times, frankly no one will care what's in your glass, only us alcoholics care what is in our glass.

If you feel the need to go, overall enjoy yourself, and even more so feel liberated that drinking isn't going to consume the day, and think of that hangover free morning tomorrow!!