Old 10-03-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MsGrace

question for you who have so much experience

I divorced my a husband 3 years ago...worked the steps, have done a TON of personal growth work outside of Al Anon, in additon to it, and have no contact at all with him. So far so good?

I'm in a serious relationship with a delightful man and we have a wonderful relationship. I love and am loved by his mom, and when together, we are highly compatible. He's responsible, caring, funny and accomplished. He's also been in Al Anon for a year, and in couples counseling with me.

AND

He comes with an 8 year old, and he has a co-parenting agreement with an active alcoholic ex wife. She and the child live in another state. He went back to court to try to prevent her from moving him out of state, but was unsuccessful. Ex wife is with her family who are all alcoholic as well.

I'm old enough to have an 8 year old grandkid, for one, and a permanent arrangement with another alcoholic that loves to hand grenade every conversation and create as much chaos as she possibly can makes me sick. Yes, I'm having to decide if this relationship and all the wonderful things it is, is worth the huge baggage it comes with. We would have this child with us all summer, and spring break and once a month and most holidays.

I need some perspective from the loving souls here. I've gotten so so much help here...I'm here again. Yes I started with the question...what is it about me that attracted another addict into my life? Perhaps I just haven't learned all I need to...