Old 10-02-2014, 11:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
heartcore

I wouldn't delay looking for work on the advice of others. There is no "sobriety recommendation" that says you should be focussed on recovery 24/7 & not work! As we know from this site, different people take very different approaches to sobriety.

I can speak for myself, & say that I didn't get a single day off work to focus on recovery! I'm at day 48 now. I go to work, go to a noon AA meeting during my lunch break a few days a week (the other days I take a shorter lunch to make up for it), go to meetings some evenings, and go to 3-5 meetings over a weekend. I work full time - 40+ hours a week. It is working for me. I'm doing 90 in 90. After that I intend replacing some of those meetings with other healthy activities.

If I were out of work & didn't have considerable financial resources, it would make me anxious. Anxious enough to drink again. I find NOT working more stressful (because of $) than working (where there is occaisional stress in work pressures or coworker relations). Not working, my anxiety is pervasive & constant; working, it comes in moments & then gets resolved.

Whatever you choose will be right for you if you do it based on self-knowledge.