View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
torquemax777
torquemax777

why does our society glorify alcohol?

It just really bothers me how there are so many beer festivalsl wine tastings, and even TV sit coms joke around about all the things about alcohol that are truly horrifying to all of us that live it in "real life"... I realize that in other countries, alcohol is just a given at every meal, and though more people in general drink there, I want to say I heard one time that a lot of them are not alcoholics. It's just there, (wine or whatever) they can take it or leave it. Here in America we talk about it everywhere, and all the sit coms joke like drinking to blackouts is hilarious and shacking up with anyone and everyone while in a drunken stupor is sexy and so on... My AH says these things do indeed contribute to his AV telling him, " see, everyone does it, it's no big deal, go ahead drink! " I believe the media needs to go in the direction that they did with cigarettes; start showing commercials of some dude dying of cirrhosis and such, families being destroyed. You know, the "truth" perhaps?!? But instead we get TV programs glorifying booze, and in between, we get commercials advertising local beer festivals and the endless Budweiser commercials that seem to make you think you can't possibly have ANY fun without booze! Just irritates the heck out of me!

Last edited by torquemax777; 10-02-2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: typo