View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Fly N Buy
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
If there is one observation I'd make of the many and various personality types that make up AA as we know it.

Bill and Bob were both "straight laced" Kind of guys in their chosen fields. Both wore suits and ties to work each day and so they chose a relatively straight laced God of their own understanding.

I have observed that people who led a more 'alternative' lifestyle prior to AA, often go for 'alternative' higher power or spiritual concepts in AA.

This observation bares out in my home group where most of us suit and tie conformity types just go "Oh well, God it is" and the guys with dreaded hair or who were former punk rockers or modern day hippies, always lean towards Buddhist stuff or something 'alternative' to a straight laced God.

Thoughts??
When younger, I had deep roots in Reggae music and Rastafari. Seemed to fit! Many I have found, change their concepts of a higher power as time goes on.

Know that I AM is what I ascribe to today. There was no fait accompli in this however or resignation based on my station in life.

The beauty of the program for me is the love and tolerance we try to have towards each other regardless of personal selection of one's higher power. That's the key!!!