Thread: Question
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
MythOfSisyphus

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Personally, I felt the RR book added additional information that helped me to understand and grasp AVRT much better. However, the book does contain some content that I consider to be superfluous.
To expand on this I think it depends on your personality. Take a car as an example. You could get in your car and just start it up and drive without having any idea of how it works. Some car owners never pop the hood and look in there, just letting a mechanic take care of it. AVRT is the same way; you can use it and drive to sobriety without really understanding the science of behavior. If it works it works, no need to pop the hood and tear into the engine. I'm in that camp. It works for me, I might be idly curious why but not enough to dig into it. It's enough for me that it does work.

I found that after I made my Big Plan the cravings vanished. Can't say as I've really had many cravings over the last 2 years. Once I told my AV that there was no chance of getting a drink it quieted down. That was the key for me- permanence. No one day at a time, just a total commitment to never drinking again.

I can't say every day of my life since has been easy, but I haven't had a lot of trouble staying sober. I drank 3 bottles of wine a day 7 days a week for years so it took some time for my body and brain to recalibrate to sobriety. But I haven't had much for urges to drink.