View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
celestialwaves

Thanks for the replies and the warm welcomes to SR, it's a great honour to be testament to the advice here, I greatly appreciate it.

In my first post I think I gave the impression that things were better when I was drinking. That's not the case. Since I've stopped, I'm not really interested to go back to how I was but I'm struggling to know what to do with my mind that'd had grown used to alcohol.

Purpleknight,
You're right, I can't expect my body to snap into place straight away without any readjustments. Patience as always is a virtue! Thanks for the tips about finding new skills, and the learning curve. Regarding the latter, I've found stopping drinking is the first obstacle of many others to come, ones that I didn't know about before.

beerbgone,
It may seem like I thought I was better off drinking but I must have given the wrong impression in the words I wrote. I've got no intentions of returning back to drinking.

soberwolf,
Greetings fellow Londoner. Thanks for the words to relate to my situation and for saying my interest in playing guitar will return.

freeowl,
Thanks for saying I am not alone my sentiments and observations. What you write about sleep, anxiety, energy drainage and others being there before and after drinking and whether they are medical ailments or ones of 'being human' and dealing with them by drinking is near enough exactly the situation in my head.
You're right about seeing a counsellor and a doctor about things.

awuh1,
The recommendation for exercise and St John's Wort is a good one. I didn't know 20 minutes is all that's needed (to start anyway), seems a less intimidating figure than I expected. Thanks for the kind wishes and liking my user name.

Gottalife,
Good to hear AA worked well for you. Although it's not an exact comparison or replacement, I've been going to meditation classes that have had a great impact so far. It's a discipline of teaching my mind to stop running away on thoughts, or negative thoughts.

Thanks again to everyone who provided wonderful insights.