Thread: Addicts in AA
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Jfanagle
Another Day in Paradise

14 years ago my son came to me with a drug problem, but when doing drugs he drank as well, regardless he wanted to stop. I gave him a Big Book, took him to an AA meeting and introduced him to a friend of mine who quit 26 years earlier when he was my son's age (20). Lou and I took him to lunch and advised him to listen and then participate and be of service whenever possible. Get a sponsor and take the steps quickly. The final words of advice were "you are not special, just a garden variety drunk/druggie, but since you aren't special identify as an alcoholic (don't call attention to yourself by saying you are an addict) and get into the fellowship with a can do attitude. Respect the fact that like myself, just a boozer, many AA members don't relate to drugs and the stories that go with them however we all relate to confusion, fear and the inability to manage our lives."

He followed our advice and on October 29, will celebrate 14 years sober at age 33. He sponsors several men and most of them have a cross addiction as so many younger members seem to have. I have sponsored a few druggies and drunks, but if I feel that I am not what they need I suggest and help them find another who relates better. I firmly believe that a drug user can get and stay sober in AA, but in my opinion out of respect for the fellowship and it's singleness of purpose they should identify as an alcoholic and use the steps to overcome the fear and ego and inability to manage their lives and the choice of poison soon is not an issue.

Just my experience

Jon