Thread: Addicts in AA
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
GracieLou

In an open meeting I do not see an issue. There is a singleness of purpose but it is also open to anyone, even people that are not alcoholics. Most guests or students do not comment or share though.

I know many cross addicted people and there are some that just identify as addicts but again, it is an open meeting.

If this a person going to a closed meeting or one that sternly urges that all conversation be singleness of purpose then I can see where it might be an issue.

I personally don’t have an issue in an open meeting. I feel for these people the same I feel for the “real alcoholic” sitting next to me. They want and need help.

I know a couple people that have done both AA, NA along with CA and CR. They end up back at AA because that is where they get the most help, where they can identify and remain sober. I assumed this is why we have so many open meetings. There are a lot more open then closed in my area as the need seems to be there.

The person I have leading next month identifies as an addict, he has over four years sober, he has a good recovery message. I find many addicts in AA concentrate on the recovery side of their story because of this and to be honest, that is what I like to hear. We all get to the rooms and we all have that side of the story but I like when they keep that brief and move on to what it is like now. Hearing the good things and the positive results of sobriety helps me. I already know what it took me to get to the rooms, the stories are the same. The only reason mine is different is because its mine.