Thread: Addicts in AA
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Pagekeeper

Addicts in AA

I'm truly not trying to open a can of worms here, but I am in a situation that I'm having trouble explaining.

An addict (heroin and crack), who I will call Jane, is wanting to attend AA meetings instead of NA meetings. The reason is the quality of the meetings as well as the commitment of its members. Jane says too many people in NA are court ordered, not serious, or they are in the meetings to hustle. Jane is also paranoid that others in the meetings will repeat what she says, illegal activities, and it will put her children and job at risk. Alcoholism, to Jane, is more socailly acceptable than being a junkie or crackhead. Jane also believes that a drug is a drug, so why can't she just go to AA?

My problem is that I don't know how to explain to Jane why addicts have their own meetings. And why that is important. I've expressed to her that if she has a desire to stop drinking, she is absolutely welcome at AA, but the drugs are an outside issue at an AA meeting.

I also expressed to Jane that by her attending AA and not fully revealing the true nature of her addiction, she is remaining in denial. She's not being completely honest, and that's a major liability in a 12 step program. I also expressed to her that identifying with the problem is very important, especially early on.

I'm not looking for defenses against Jane's arguments. I just want to help Jane make the best choice for her recovery in the long run.