Thread: Realizations
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 02:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MythOfSisyphus

Welcome, TerrelB and Sokar! It's good to have you both at SR.

With drinking it doesn't come down to how much you drink or even how often so much as the problems you have when you do drink. I went from a binge drinker > daily drinker > daily binge drinker. But even when I first started to drink at age 18 I had no OFF button; once I started drinking it was on. From the outset I routinely drank to the point of blacking out. As I got older I guess I became experienced enough with booze that I rarely got blackout-drunk but I'd always get at least sloppy drunk.

Sokar, if you can't stop once you start you probably have a problem. Personally I don't think it's important to put a label on the problem so long as you know the solution. When you reach the point where you can't control your drinking you probably need to stop drinking altogether.

And that's another line that will show if you have a problem. A normal drinker confronted with the idea of never drinking just shrugs their shoulders and thinks meh, I guess I will stop drinking then. Booze isn't a big part of their lives and thus living without it is no big deal. But the very thought of quitting will send a problem drinker into a panic.

Back when I drank booze was A Really Big Deal. Everything revolved around it. When traveling I took great pains to plan ahead (eg when do the liquor stores close? Do they sell on Sundays? Can C-stores sell or just liquor stores?). If there was any doubt I would take my own. At home all my shopping trips revolved around keeping stocked up. I kept an eye on the clock noting the 2:00 am cutoff to buy the way Dracula watched out for the sunrise!

In retrospect it was an amazing waste of time and energy. You would be wise to nip it in the bud before you reach a point where the consequences are even worse.