Old 09-29-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Alaskachick

Hey exparatrooper,

You’d be surprised to learn that your situation is not all that uncommon. My youngest son left for college shortly after my divorce, I had to sell my home of 18 years and I moved to Alaska from Colorado to live with my sister until I got on my feet financially. I had been a stay-at-home mom for 16 years so I hadn’t worked in a long time. I was 52 years old and by this time I had developed quite a love affair with vodka. My life was just one big mess; however with time everything worked out and I healed.

I know that you weren’t married; however it appears that the emotions that you are feeling are similar to the emotions that many people feel after a divorce. Many churches and other organizations host divorce recovery support groups that might help you. There are also many divorce recovery websites that might be helpful.

I am not a medical professional; however you also may be experiencing some situational depression and seeing a doctor might help if that’s the case.

As far as finding a job it might be helpful to expand your search area. Many people find that they need to move to find better job opportunities. Maybe a fresh start elsewhere would help you with healing.

Probably the best advice SR members have given you is to reach out and help others. Perhaps you could find some time to volunteer. It would also give you a chance to get out and meet other people. Do what you can to help make yourself and the world around you a better place. You won’t regret it.