Thread: AA meetings
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
IOAA2

Originally Posted by gmc38609 View Post
Do you on your own?

I rang the helpline and the fella I spoke to agreed to meet me at a meeting which he did, I felt a connection at the meeting and have not drank since. I rang him up and he has agreed to meet me at the same meeting a week later and introduce me to people he knows who go more regularly to other meeting which is great.

I have been wondering though when the meeting starts its a very personal thing do people normally just go on there own? and I am I thinking of it as more of a club type thing and should just find a meeting when i need one and go on my own

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi and welcome.

Written in AAs preamble “Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.
The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.
There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with
any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does
not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor
opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

For this alcoholic going to meetings when I felt like it, sobriety would be impossible as it leaves things to my devices which got me drunk so often. Many years later I still go to 3-5 meetings a week, because I WANT to and it's my insurance.

BE WELL