View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I find it tough to get over the fact that for years I was known as a drunk. I didn't have any self-awareness. I thought my drinking in social settings was all fun and games. But the latter few years, it must have been so obvious to everyone that I had a problem.

How could I not see it? I mean, I knew I drank a lot, but I didn't think everyone else could see I was a drunk. So many stupid incidents over the years and yet I still thought I was being the fun, party guy when I was seen as just a drunk....
I was the neighbour bum...unshaven wild hair, red rimmed eyes, unwashed and no doubt stank like a brewery and a million ashtrays.

Mothers would seriously cross the roads with their kids to avoid me.

Everyone knew me that way.

I stayed in that part of town for about 6 months after I quit...even in that short time, I rehabilitated my reputation to a remarkable degree.

Now, having moved back to an area a few miles from where I used to live I see bus drivers cabbies and former bneighbours almost every day.

Noone holds my past against me

There's absolutely nothing you and I can do about the past WL. It's done, and gone....but there is an extraordinary amount we can do with each new day.

Don't squander that opportunity by looking backwards & sighing

D