Old 09-28-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

I don't think it's off.... in fact, I think this is a topic that is seen as too taboo in recovery, leaving a lot of people to question and fear and struggle in silence.

There are a number of books out there dealing with this topic. For many of us, sex - like everything else in life - was wrapped around our use of alcohol and drugs. Even the times we weren't intoxicated while actually having sex, we were still in a place where our addictions were being regularly fueled and we were not living our full set of senses or facing life sober.

When we finally choose to do that, there are all sorts of subtle and interrelated things that start to happen. It impacts our self-confidence, our awareness, our emotions, our chemical balances, our hormones.... everything. We need to 're-learn Life'. And while we're re-learning, life keeps on happening.

Sex when we are young is pretty much a phsyical reaction driven by hormones on overdrive. But as we mature, sex is a thing that is a complex inter-relation between the physical, emotional, mental and even spiritual.

In recovery, I have experienced all sorts of ups and downs in my own sexual experiences. I have a lovely lady and a strong relationship - so sometimes it can be frustrating and confusing when my own body isn't meeting my own expectations. I have reminded myself that I'm going through a huge adjustment, while at the same time juggling the stuff of everyday life as a parent, at work, housework, the bills, etc, etc.....

The best advice I can give you is simply be patient, be kind to yourself, communicate with your partner, and know that there's nothing "wrong" with you. You're passing through a stage that is unfamiliar and a time of metamorphosis as a whole person. That will impact your sexuality in ways you may not expect, but in time... things will balance out, and likely be deeper, richer, better than ever.