View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cecilia44

He was one of us ......

A friend of mine committed suicide the other day. He was one of us, an alcoholic. Very depressing to find out about this news.

He was a nice person. I used to call him a "gifter" because every time I was around him (he lived on a farm), he would give me gifts of eggs, or bacon, or "Do you want some almonds? Fruit?" he would say. He helped my mom figure out what guns were what when my Dad died and she was selling them. She didn't know much about them, but he did. He loved the outdoors and was an excellent hunter and fisherman. I used to tell him he should move to Alaska and do tours on how to survive in the wilderness. He would have been good at it. He was also a former marine and a vet. He will have a military funeral.

He was an all day, all night drinker. Used to have what he called "breakfast beer" to get him going in the morning. In the time I knew him, I don't think I ever saw him drink anything else besides alcohol.

I used to ask him why he doesn't try to quit drinking. He would say, "What difference does it make?" I said, "Well, you would feel better in the morning, if nothing else." I guess he just didn't see a reason to quit.

He lost his job due to drinking, he lost his family (got divorced) due to his drinking, he lost his license due to drinking and now he has lost his life. He shot himself in the head two days ago.

If actions like this are not enough to stay sober because of this horrible disease, I don't know what is.

I feel depressed about it. He was a friend of mine.

Please everyone, keep trying.