Old 09-22-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
heartcore

I'm with doggonecarl...

When I do the sobriety vs. drinking equals serious vs. fun, then I'm setting myself up.

It is easy to do. In early sobriety we get really excited about the possibilities of efficiency! and fitness! and clean closets! and good jobs! and getting places on time! and showing people we're capable! and - blah-blah-blah...

I recognize that a big part of this efficiency and doing frenzy in sobriety is a result of guilt and shame about lost time and lost possibilities, but in my own experience, it makes sobriety a tense-shoulders, to-do listy, clean closet world, and - I'll be honest - if I wanted to be the kind of girl who wakes up at five to go to spin class, I probably wouldn't have partied so hard in the first place...

Mind you, there could be a day when you'll see me posting all excitedly about how much fun I had waking up at 5 am to go to spin class, but it likely won't be soon.

My point being, sober doesn't make me an entirely different person, well - different in some ways - but in terms of joy and fun, I can't fill that hole with pride in my efficiency or my gleaming bathtub. My goal is to explore the world and behave in the world as it suits me, and hopefully to not get caught up in the whole black and white rigidity of "bad slackerdom vs. good task-i-ness."

So, I'm right beside you, exploring all this. Truth be told, I don't really have "fun" going to the gym. I've been going regularly because I can't sleep for sh** in sobriety, and find that regular hard exercise is helping with that. I don't have "fun" cleaning my house or getting my finances in order or even - sometimes - going to AA meetings. I know that these are things that are contributing to my health, that they are medicine to me right now, and that I am in a "convalescence" of early recovery.

Fun to me is dancing, music festivals, board games with friends, disc golf, sex, movies, spa appointments, making music, restaurants with friends, etc. I aspire to a life that is sprinkled with lots of those activities, in which I am sober, as well as many of the people surrounding me (making new friends in sobriety). I recognize that this will take some time to build. It is EASY to set up those things while drinking and using, a little more challenging to find/create my fun community in sobriety - but if I am patient, it will emerge.

The important thing to me is to recognize and accept that there will be less opportunity for "fun" in this early sobriety, and not to confuse "accomplishment" or "efficiency" or "things that are good for me" with the sober definition of fun, because I don't think they are the same thing, and if they were, I'd be demoralized and give up and simply want to drink....