Old 09-20-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

When I first got sober I honestly didn't believe life would ever be fun again without alcohol. Truth was that everything I did revolved around alcohol. Bowling meant drinking. Going to the movies meant sneaking a bottle into the theater in my sock. Fishing meant coolers full of beer. Going to clubs and parties was a no brainer. And every single thing I did was the same. Alcohol came first, and the activity was secondary. If the activity even mattered. Sober, I had no desire to do any of those things.

I knew I couldn't live that way any longer though, and pretty much had no choice but to start to learn to live differently. I'm super grateful for the "fellowship" part of AA to show me that the fun in my life wasn't quite over yet. I made some friends in AA and started participating in things. We went to dances, there were sober clubs around at the time I got sober... we went on camping trips, to beaches, did a whole bunch of things I used to only want to do drunk. My network of friends for the first year consisted of only AA people, and I needed that. I needed to have others around that could relate to everything I was feeling and experiencing. Because of the practice I got with them, by year 2 I started becoming a part of the real world. Got a part time job, signed up for college, forced myself to take an acting class to help get over my shyness and wound up getting cast in some shows.... joined the drama club, started making friends outside of AA, started to have more fun than I ever experienced while drinking.

I've since then vacationed in many parts of the world, played shows (I'm a musician) in different countries as well as all over the US, gotten married on a beach in Hawaii to an awesome woman who's not an alcoholic, and did about a million things (without exaggeration), that I enjoyed immensely without alcohol. Things that I'm certain I'd have never done had I continued my drinking.

Alcohol is a liar. And I believed it bigtime. It promises you everything that it will eventually steal from you. Sobriety gave me everything alcohol promised. But it didn't come by simply putting down the drink. I had to change. AA and the 12 steps were my main tool. Others find other means.

As long as the drink is down, the rest of your life is up to you . Wishin ya the best.