View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Combakkid

Need some perspective here please

So I met with a friend who has been dealing with her divorce and custody of her son for the last 10 years from a physically abusive husband about what I have to look forward to if I decided to divorce my AH. Apparently in my state, unless I can prove he is physically abusive to the kids (which he never has been or to me) then he is going to get 50% custody and I will not be permitted to move back home despite having a place to live rent me and a support system there. This is even if I can prove he is an alcoholic and even if the kids don't want to see him. This information has really put the wind out of my sail and I really feel discouraged at this point. If I stay, my kiddos will continue to deal with it but at least they have me there to shelter them from it as best I can. If I divorce him, they will be left to fend for themselves with someone who has proven he can't take care of himself alone and will make my oldest deal with the other 3. I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. What am I supposed to do to protect my kids???