Old 09-19-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Congrats on 1 week. It's common for alcoholics in early recovery to wring their hands about being around alcohol in the future! It's a natural worry...because we've been around alcohol so often in the past, it became a big part of our lives. We are simply hard-wired to believe that alcohol will be all around us moving forward!

It turns out that's not necessarily true. I spend my free time at coffee shops, the grocery store, and even go out to dinner on the weekends. Aside from a few billboards and shops, I rarely even see alcohol.

For now, I'd treat alcohol and anyone drinking it like kryptonite. That's what worked for me. Just stay away from it. I'm 2+ years sober and I still avoid the grocery store aisle with all the wine and booze, and probably will for a long time. I'd advise that you certainly stay away from bars or pubs. Trust me, you're not "missing out" on anything. Start developing a pattern of doing things that won't put alcohol in your line of sight. Get used to a world without alcohol. There's a lot out there you might have been missing in the past. Explore it! Good luck and good questions!