Old 09-19-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
snakes

Very drunk person at last night's AA meeting

Last night I went to a new (to me) AA meeting. I didn't know anyone there. It was mostly men but there were a few women. (I am female, btw). About 10 minutes after the meeting started and extremely intoxicated man came in and sat down. He was interrupting people when they were sharing and not being mean or anything, just kept trying to converse with people when they shared.

No one did or said anything. I was very worried about this guy because obviously he shouldn't be driving (although I don;t know if he drove there or walked there or how he got there). About mid-way through the meeting he started staying he knew he had to stop drinking but he knew he would keep drinking that night. And he was already extremely drunk. Weaving and slurring his words.

My questions is - as a female member of AA and a relative newcomer, is there anything I should or could have done for this guy? When I left I felt terrible that I didn't approach him after the meeting and say or do anything. I kind of thought that the men should and I hope one did but I don't know if one did or not.

This is a first for me.