View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Fly N Buy
Trudgin

MPR,

From a different point in life than you are at, I drank for 35+ years. Some periods of abstinence, though in hindsight I don't really view them as sobriety.

7 years is remarkable, especially for someone young. I couldn't do it.
You've read some incredible insight on these posts and had terrific feedback - your comments are heartfelt as well. This is SR at it's best, to me. Folks sharing their experience while not judging.

For me the simple unvarnished truth I had to realize was I am an alcoholic. The obsession of the mind - High End bourbon, with a heavy crystal glass and a couple of ice cubes.....had to be removed. The very first drink started an AHHHH feeling that lead to a physical craving.

When I drank, not always - but many times, I continued after I told myself I would stop.

So, perhaps asking yourself if you are truly an alcoholic is the only question to ponder. If you are not, why total abstinence for this many years - kind of unusual. Maybe you explained that, I did not read every single post.......

I do know based on listening to others experience that sobriety is a huge gift and is not always readily available to pick up anytime one desires. Maybe, maybe not....

Thanks for the honest post, I needed to read this today!
Best wishes on your journey, as for all of us....

peace