Thread: First time
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lhtlZ

First time

New to this site today. I've been drinking heavily for the last for the last 20 years. First drink at age 14 and just continued from there. Im a binge drinker- no such thing as a couple drinks for me. I typically drink at home, alone.
I drink at least a bottle of wine nightly usually preceded by a couple vodka martinis. I recently retired from a job I enjoyed though it was very demanding mentally, physically and emotionally. I drank to relax quickly, go to sleep and get up the next day and go to work. When I was out for business dinners, i could control myself until I got home. I thought my drinking would slow down after retiring but it's only gotten worse! More free time and less responsibility - I now drink several martinis and a bottle or two of wine over a 6 hour period. I've started to drink earlier and earlier in the day. I'm scared it will only get worse and i will become more and more isolated and possibly ill, unless I deal with it.

I am 5 days without a drink. Longest alcohol free period in years. I don't have much for physical withdrawals but the psychological craving is so strong I feel like I should chain myself up so I can't get to any alcohol. The last five days I've felt better, had more energy and feel happy. But everyday I want that bottle of wine so badly. I haven't "promised" myself I'd quit and I don't know if that is a signal that I can't stop. I don't want to spend this phase of my life so dependent on alcohol that I don't have time to pursue the things I always thought I would.

Curious if there are others facing this life transition with addiction hanging over your head.

Ps. I love to garden, cook, read, do mosaics, paint - and drink while I'm doing it!!