View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
b086

i really appreciate your honesty. i think it's important to acknowledge that, at the moment, you don't feel motivated to get and stay sober. the desire to get sober makes all of the difference. i noticed that you gave several reasons why it is challenging for you to get sober now. if you are looking for reasons to keep drinking, you will always find them. if you look for reasons and resources to stop...well, in my experience, they appear.

i think the most painful part of your post is the evidence of that terrible trap of addiction: for most of us, regular drinking/binge drinking makes us feel terrible and causes problems in our lives. as a result, we seek relief in more drink. we can't see, and often do not believe others when they tell us, that drinking is often the cause, or at least an aggravator, of so much of our misery.

for what its worth, i was 23 when i got sober in AA. no health coverage, no car, part time job making terrible money, living at home -- miserable, but with a story that could not compare to the tragedies that many others have lived. i am ONLY telling you this as a way of showing that if you want sobriety, you can have it. i would not trade it for anything. my life has been transformed by it.

maybe you've already looked for young people's meetings in your town. if there are none, i've always found fellowship to be of great help. in time i have learned to listen for things i can relate to instead of listening for things i want to reject -- to take what i need and leave the rest.

others have mentioned resources outside of AA... maybe worth a look