View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
courage2
p***enger

Good evening, friends!

Welcome to GentleSoul & unitedguy! Whoever you are, whether you’re new to SR, new to this thread, or just coming back, we’re glad you’re here today!

Congratulations to HeartsAfire on 1 month by the calendar and to all, for today!

Here’s a special shout-out: Today marks 100 days on which I’ve kept a list of people posting to this thread. There are a couple of small gaps in the list, when I was away or just lost the record somehow. But I’d like to note that for every single day I have a list recorded, 100 days, three names appear on it: 1NewCreation, Gilmer, and grtgrandpa! Thank you 3 for showing me the way to show up!

And thanks to everyone – whether you missed 100 by only an odd day or two or you’ve been 100% consistent since you started, or you’ve shown up time and time again despite obstacles and setbacks – if you’re here now, that’s the most important thing! Here’s the list of those who’ve made part of their commitment to sobriety include posting on this thread from about 8:30 p.m. Eastern time September 14 to 8:30 p.m. Eastern time September 15:

1newcreation
afloatsober
airwick
AlcoholFree66
altoids
Alynn
Alysheba
ANewDayNYC
ardy
aussieblue
BarbieKen
Beanie25
biminiblue
bluedutch
Bubovski
BuddinK
calico
casinva
charleesavedme
ChloeRose63
Chrissy2014
Coldfusion
courage2
DancingDiva
DaneK
Dee74
domedou
erfra7
Findingtheway
Flynbuy
ForMeForThem
gameofthrones10
GentleSoul
Gilmer
Goat
Grateful11
grtgrandpa
Halfvictory
HeartsAfire
Hevyn
j808
Jeremiah2911
jsm273
Kaneda8888
Kiya
Kris47
least
Mags1
Marcher13
martina12
michaels_w
Panacea
rachelle77
sickofthiscrap
Sky2012
SnowDawg
sobernfree81
sthlondonab
tgirl
tootsl1
unitedguy
VikingGF
yukonm
Zencat

Last entry for spirit or recovery animals: the cow. No one here asked for the cow, but I post on the cow because I’m very fond of a cow-person on SR tho not on this thread (so far), and I lived in India for a year, where it can hardly help rubbing off on a person to look at the cow as a sacred animal. Hindus venerate the cow through gho pooja and especially on holidays like Pongal and Divali.

The cow is the mother animal. The comfort animal. The breast that’s the source of only goodness and no gall. As children we long for her, reach for her, cry for her, and eventually we begin to learn that what we crave & perceive as the source of everything that nurtures us can also hurt us and reject us. So we don’t worship our mothers, but we always keep that longing, don’t we? And the cow embodies that longing, that adoration of the nurturing mother who can never really exist in the world we inhabit.

For images and quotes from the Vedas about cows and the god Krishna, the divine keeper of cows, see this website: Glories of Mother Cow (Vedic Quotes) | Save the Cow. Here’s one Vedic verse: “When Lord Krishna plays the flute, the surabhi cows become completely enchanted. The cows then make many great rivers of fragrant milk flow from the great mountains of their udders, rivers that join to become an ocean, an ocean of milk like a great moat surrounding Goloka on all sides. These cows are kamadhenu cows, cows that fulfill all desires, for from them flows an ocean of milk.”

I’m looking forward to seeing everyone in the next 24 hours!