View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
bluehour

adhd medication

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Ok I'm just going to jump into it...
We are in the ongoing process of trying to decide whether to try medication for our 9 year old son. I am really not looking for a debate, exactly, just experiences. I don't mind hearing opposing beliefs from each camp, but I already have that going on in my head, constantly, so I don't think it would help much.

Here's what's in my head -

Kids don't need stimulants, they need love and patience.
I have to exhaust every option before I decide to try medication, but some of them are too hard to be realistic for me and my family.
If we don't at least try medication, we will never know.
Kids/adults with ADHD have a 3-4 fold increase in illegal activity when it's not being controlled.
I'm so tired of battling with him and dealing with his effect on the entire family.
It's just wrong to medicate kids who are still developing life skills, how will they learn to cope without medication?
I want him to feel in control of himself, and in turn have a higher self esteem and that is reportedly what the medication can do.
The medications don't work the same forever, maybe we should wait until he is older to start.
What if he stops eating. How would that affect his immune system.
And so on....

I wouldn't even bring it up here, except that it is causing me a lot of stress and uncomfortable feelings.
I haven't been dealing with it lately, but the calls from school are increasing with his new teacher this year.

I want to also say I wouldn't do this 'just for school'. His behavior affects almost everyone he comes in contact with. He is choosing to not participate in family activities where he knows he must behave. It is worrisome, especially because he really is a bright and loving (and lovable) boy.

Has anyone else gone through this?

As far as my sobriety goes - I learned a new trigger. Other people's kids birthday parties. Am I the only one lol? Not participating in any of those again for a while...