View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
jdooner

Originally Posted by sprout50 View Post
I love my brother and God knows I know what it is like to be an alcoholic. I am willing to help him but I can't help someone who doesn't want the help. My anxiety level is through the roof right now. I know tomorrow morning, when he gets in my car with his travel mug, I will have to check it for beer. (When I was drinking I actually never drank and drove and I have never allowed open containers in my car) I go through this everytime I give him a ride. My sobriety is not in danger because of this but my panic disorder is in full swing. I hate this feeling and am going to have to shut him out.
You may want to check out AlAnon. Its tough when you love an addict/alcoholic and see them go through the torture. But like you they have to go through their own journey if its to stick. Remember you did not Cause it, can't Control it and you can't Cure it.

Setting boundaries is one of the healthiest things we can do or otherwise we are enabling. Be very careful you are not taking his inventory and trying to work his program for him. Be firm with your boundaries to protect yourself and not enable him but try to detatch so not to get pulled under if he drowns.