View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
whalebelow2

Only people with a drink problem have a voice in their head that tells them they don't.

Weigh the historical evidence by writing down a list of times you went for that first drink & ended up having 10 or 12 (or however many it is you personally have)

Then write down the times you genuinely managed "one drink"

If your anything like me, you'll come up with a very very lopsided list.

If there is a few ticks in the one drink column, just remember, your looking for the "over whelming" results.

When the planets aligned & I could muster up all my will power, very occasionally I could manage one drink & go to bed very unsatisfied. That just lit the fuse for an explosion of drinking another night though.

Times I did go to bed after one drink, literally the first thought in my head upon waking would be "DRINK"

(Have you ever watched the TV show Father Ted ? The character Father Jack in that show often comes to and shouts "DRINK" ... that was me, I identify with Father Jack)

By the way, I advise writing, rather than doing it mentally.

Because the voice lives there and you don't want to feed it.

A funny thing also happens when you write stuff down, the brain sees it on paper and goes "OH, well looky here, its written down now, I guess I can shut up about that now"

Good luck with everything