View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Avice

Hi - thanks for your advice, everyone. I decided to apply. The guy who requested my resume is actually the head of the dept. and he's very nice. I sent my first resume way back in May, and I think that a lot of students have gone back to school now so that's why they're looking for people. Point is - he remembered me, and he strikes me as a good person to have as a supervisor.

I know that the job is stressful, but poverty is stressful too. I've had to visit the food bank a few times since I moved to Ottawa. I've moved 3 times in 4 months (just trying to find a place where there aren't crack dealers on every corner). My front teeth are chipped and I can't afford to go to the dentist. I need new glasses. I have no winter boots. The list goes on.

I don't feel ready for this AT ALL, but I didn't feel like I was ready to stop drinking either and here I am.

The worst that can happen (assuming I get the job), is that I'm no good at it and get fired. I think I can handle that. Plus, I don't know whether the stress people experience is because of callers yelling at them. I couldn't care less. I know that they're yelling at the company - not me.

Inflagrante - what made you walk out? Just curious. I took your advice about catering on board, but there's one major problem with that. It's Ottawa, and you have to be bilingual to serve the public. Honestly, pretty much every person here speaks English, but the French issue is very complicated in this part of the country. That's why it's been so hard for me to find work here. Seriously, you can't even work at a Burger King unless you parlay Francay. C'est dommage.