View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ANewDayNYC

I think one of the things I do is use drinking as a release. Throughout the work week there are various stresses and anxiety and I feel I just try to get to the weekend. Similar to the way people plan a vacation in the future as something to look forward to, I would use weekends as a way to overcome any stress I felt in the workweek. On weekends where I don’t drink, it feels like the vacation got cancelled and then I am back to a stressful Monday morning and it feels like I missed out. Probably due to the way this addiction works, planning non-sober activities on the weekends seems boring.

I definitely have a drinking problem. However, I am fortunate in a way that I only feel tempted to drink at bars. I don’t have any desire to drink when I am in my apartment. I do realize that alcohol addiction is progressive.

On the weekends where I don’t drink, I feel lonely in my apartment (and there are lots of bars within walking distance). I don’t really have many friends who don’t drink. Also, bars were typically my way of meeting new people.