View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
iSPAZ

Originally Posted by Hopeworks View Post
Alcoholism is a family disease and the ones who truly suffer the most damage are the innocent ones : the children.

I also am an adult child of an alcoholic and now can look back after years of authentic recovery and see the patterns of my own attraction to alcoholics....like a bee to honey we would not be able to resist each other.

Being in the middle of a toxic alcoholic home often results in a broken "picker" and my picker was like a lightening rod for a guy just like "daddy" (not really because my dad was a sadistic cruel beast of a man) but I still was attracted to me like daddy when he was sober daddy (usually before noon when the drinking got serious).

Point of story... the most important thing you can do for yourself is find a good alanon group that you identify with (try several)... read ALL the stickie posts,start a reading list, find a good counselor that knows addiction and visit us often to tell us how it all goes.

That is the FAST plan to recovery (immersion) but you have to figure yourself out one day at a time and choose the timing and how you find your way out of a relationship that has got HUGE red flags sticking out all over it!

Remember this: Red flags are not party favors so don't collect them like I did... run...run fast. Hit the button: EJECT! EJECT! EJECT!

I have just diagnosed myself with BPD (Broken Picker Disease)
I will see the doctor first thing Monday.