View Single Post
Old 09-12-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
theuncertainty

I remember how nerve-wracking saying no to unreasonable visit demands was. ((((hugs))) But every one is right, you and your daughter are allowed to have your own lives and do not have to be at his beck-and-call. If you have plans you can tell him "No." If you don't have plans but want to stay home for a quiet evening, you can say "No." As long as you set some schedule for your DD to see her father, the court will not think you're being unreasonable in saying no to every-day-visits.

Kids need a sense of rhythm in their lives; they need the security of having a general idea of what to expect. And dropping everything to accommodate his desires, whenever they occur, does not promote that.

Trying to foster that stability for DS ticked AXH off to no end, "Do you know how it sounds to have to schedule a time to see MY son?!" (HP, I can still hear him screaming that at me.) But DS needed it. I couldn't make AXH actually keep his schedule, but I could keep mine, so DS at least knew that what to expect on our days.

And no, paying child support does not give him any *rights* to see his child. Child support is to help pay for the things a child needs: clothing, food, toys, daycare, etc. That's all, and it's a responsibility, not a guarantee of rights. Even though the courts said AXH cannot see DS until he cleans up his act, he still has to pay support.

You can do this.