Old 09-12-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
CodeJob

Oh Stung, thinking through all of this for me (is) part of the process. This is such an intriguing thread!

DS first went to a Nazarene church youth program where my neighbor belonged. She and her husband kindly drove him and a bunch of other kids each week! He loved it and he was in a few holiday musical pieces too so I attended their services several times over the years. This group had a knock out children's program. They had weekly programming and a children's service running tandem to their adult service. They had a full time children's pastor. I was OK staying right there, but I had conceded to my H that if we had a boy - we'd raise him Catholic.

But I absolutely agree with you to find a 'gang' with a great children's program! My DS & I plan to experience some different faiths after he confirms next May. We have told him he will have a base, and he can find his own path...

It is a journey. Ask around and you'll find a church with a great kid program.

Oh Mountainbob my H and I often talk about the parable of the Prodigal Son. It makes me so MAD that the 'good' son gets dissed. He is there doing the right thing and it is the loser who gets a party after blowing his inheritance? My H just chuckles and says it always comes down to money with your family. Well being loyal has NOT been particularly rewarded in my FOO. My 'place' in my FOO has not been respected. Who gets money & attention IS how power flows in my family. So of course I am self righteous and every time this is the gospel I want to cry out, let's talk about the insulted son here! In my family it is not my father who is in charge. The word of law in my family comes down through the mother. I'm sure all the women in the kitchen are spouting off what a waste and what a dumba-- the patriarchal father is in this parable! I wouldn't be surprised if they said, let's swap out the calf as this party is a serious waste of resources...

Perhaps the Bible best describes who is in control in the OT story of Jacob snagging his father's blessing thanks to his wily mom Rebekah. Mom might have no true authority but women make things happen. Women are scrappy despite having the downfall of man blamed on us.

You'll figure it out Stung. I have faith in you!