Old 09-12-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Stung

The only people who like to read literally of the Bible, are fundamentalists and Atheists.

The latter like to make fun of the former for doing so, ironic no?
Not sure if you're calling me an atheist. I'm just anti authoritarian. Don't tell me what to believe and we'll be cool.

#6 Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

#7 Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
Maybe it's because I'm an a-hole, but this talks about us doing things, not God. Just because you ask God to do things doesn't mean God WILL or CAN do them. I'm ready for God to do lots of things and I've asked God to do them. Maybe those steps are about humility rather than literal action? I'll have to ask my sponsor.

At any rate, the Big Book is just a book. It could say that God likes to breakdance on Tuesdays and just because it says it doesn't make it a fact. And obviously individual opinions and experiences on whether God can cause and cure will vary.

I think maybe all God can and will do is comfort people. Honestly, if that's what I'm going to get from God it teaches me a lesson in expectations of myself and others. I think step 6 and 7 are about being honest with yourself and humbling yourself enough to do those things in a meaningful way, beyond just asking for a quick fix. I don't think God is capable of changing people or he would change a lot of REALLY bad people. I do however think we're capable of changing ourselves through diligent hard work and experiences. God is just there holding your hand through it all, gently trying to remind you that you're loved. God cannot remove my a-holeness, I can choose to be more aware of it and keep it in check. God loves me whether I'm actively being an a-hole or not.