Old 09-12-2014, 12:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

Originally Posted by SoberComposer View Post

Afterward: Two seemingly very nice men walked up to me and asked if I have a sponsor yet. I said that I didn't and they immediately began stressing that I must have a sponsor to remain sober. Then one quickly asked me for my number. I said that I always investigate organizations before I join them and want to enter this at my own pace. He understood but as I began explaining my journey they began looking like I was giving them a bunch of hoola. After that one asked if I had a book yet. I said that I had one in storage and at that moment he gave me one off the table and said he would buy it for me. I felt extremely awkward at this point!
I can imagine that was really awkward but I think you handled it very well. I am just starting to investigate AA myself so I cannot answer your questions. I do know that the hard sell will be a big turnoff for me. I appreciate that others want to help, but I fear I would start to feel emotionally claustrophobic if I had too many people pressuring me to go faster than I was ready to.