View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Bebetter

Hi Sky - I am mom to two girls, ages 2 and 5. I quit drinking on June 30, 2013. I definitely still have those cringe-worthy memories that Dolly mentioned... but they are a good reminder to me why I keep my sobriety up. I rarely have cravings anymore, but like (I think) Babs said, I keep my eye on the disease. A few days ago, I was driving in town and just feeling fantastic, and I had a fleeting desire for a bottle of white wine. Those types of fleeting cravings are easy for me to dismiss now, with some quick thoughts to what happens after the bottle is done... hangover, disappointment and shame, doubt and lacking self-esteem. Totally not worth it anymore. I've been myself now for a while, and I think I'm just fine without the buzz. I do wish I could have a drink now and then like a normal person, but that desire is so false. I've NEVER wanted ONE drink now and then, and I am too aware that one drink will either put me right back where I started, or at the very least, open the door to that mental war I've always had with alcohol - I don't want to fight that fight again.