Old 04-05-2005, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tommy79

Calling all depressives: did your (clinical) depression lift once you quit drinking?

This is partly in response to a post by Captainizing (can't remember his full name lol) on another thread on this board (I'm a newbie by the way, currently 36 hours sober and loving it ). NB I've also posted this on the 'Alcoholics' board as I'm hoping for maximum response, sorry to take up extra posting space...

I was diagnosed with depression and severe anxiety when I was 17, and until relatively recently always thought of myself as a depressive rather than an alcoholic. Looking back, I think alcohol may always have been the problem although my drinking patterns weren't really pathological (IMO) until around 22/23 (plenty of binge-drinking mind you). I've heard it suggested that some people just aren't cut out for alcohol in the same way that, say, some psychotropic drug users become institutionalised for life with serious psychological disturbances and some come off the drugs and are able to lead happy lives - the former category of people are clearly 'hard-wired' in a way that makes them more likely to be 'tipped over the edge' into madness. I now have a theory that alcohol made me seriously depressed and I should never have touched it, and I know some psychiatrists think this is true of some poeple.

My question is: how many depressives who drank (like me) found their depression basically lifted when they sobered up, and if not straight away, how long did it take? I found Captainizing's post (NB he said it took about a year) very inspiring, the most inspiring reason not to drink I think I've found on these boards yet (and that's saying something!)

I'm asking specifically about depressives, people diagnosed with depression; obviously everyone's lives improve when they sober up and therefore they are less 'depressed'; but I'm talking mood disorders here, not general outlook.

thanks everyone!
tommy
<!-- / message -->