Old 09-11-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
desypete

Originally Posted by whalebelow2 View Post
Agreed Pete, it does seem odd that God would lend a hand to alcoholics but not cancer patients.

The only explanation I have is this.

The Big Book tells us that the problem is two fold, in our body & in our mind.

Perhaps & this is just my opinion, God brings about a "psychic" change, sufficient to be rid of the compulsion. As any alcoholic who has drank again after having that compulsion removed, can tell you, the physical side of it certainly isn't removed.

Maybe that is the difference. Mental or Psychic change vs Physical.

I don't know, it is only the thing that seems to make any sense.

Is that a choice God makes or is it something he cannot effect on earth ie: physical change ?

Again, I don't know.

I know when my Father died, my faith as to where, I believe, his soul was going, gave me great comfort. Hardly a tear.
i know when my mum and dad died and i was sober at the time i hurt, i cried, i felt lost and empty for a while but it passed, i certainly wasnt tortured the way i have been over my son
i certainly never question gods existence the way i do today etc
when my parent died it was a natural process its the way life should be we live have kids and die and they go on

i can not really put into words how empty life becomes when your child is gone i love my kids more than anything in the world, i am there god as they need me and depend on me to put things right when there wrong, to make them feel safe, to look after them etc

then to have one of the kids suffer with an illness i can do nothing about nor can anyone else in the world and you have to just be there for them and watch it unfold
well it certainly does open your eyes to suffering in the world that is going on all around

i can not turn a blind eye to it anymore like i used to when it hadnt happened to me

can you just picture what my posts would look and read like had my son been saved ?
i would be posting up that my son had been saved from an incurable illness and only a god could of made that possible and i would believe it with all my heart, like others do who have had the luck on there side

so its me who has had to make sense of a hp v a god and as far as my alcoholism goes aa treats that and helps me live with it, the fellowship of aa never promised me my kids wouldnt die if i came along, but what they do tell me is if things go wrong in my life i never have to pick up a drink on it again ever no matter what goes on

in my case its true i have never wanted or needed a drink all the way through my sons ordeal and even after he died
i wanted to die and not live anymore but i never wanted to drink

i am not a super human i am just a drunk who got sober thanks to aa and who has worked his steps and lives a program in his life daily
there is a change in me today than there was 10 years ago i dont think the same nor react the same but its been a long process of working on me and coping with things that come up along the way in a different way than normal

hence i believe i can not do this on my own i need help and for this drunk even admitting i need help and opening up to anyone is a huge turn around

the key i believe is faith i have faith in aa the fellowship of aa, and what it stands for and the principles behind the steps

try to be good and kind, try to think of others, help if i can, when i can start to live a life were its not all about me me me then i am living the way i should in my eyes
the problem is no matter how much i try to not live me me me its always there just i am a little bit better at it today where i can think of how others feel rather than me

but i will never be perfect ever and i will still upset people or get cross but today i dont have to spend all day living like that i can stop it and say sorry and get back on with trying to live good

after 10 years i am a bit better than i was and i hope i can still grow and learn and get better