View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Archelon

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post

Now I can see that the moments I have craved my whole life are the ones that are real. Its a glance from my wife as we watch our kids develop. Or taking in nature at 11,000 feet in the Rockies. Or just a quiet Sunday mowing the lawn with my son. These moments are becoming more frequent with sobriety and recovery. You get glimpses and want more. Its in the process of just being that I am able to understand this is true happiness - not that fat line or stripper who was fleecing me.
to someone who lost wife and child those moments you describe are very much unicorns and candy. So glad that sobriety opened your eyes.

I thought I was doing sobriety wrong when others spoke of how everything turned sunshine when they got sober, and my life was still my life. ho hum, and with new challenges to boot.

like another said, life on life's terms. Which for me is better than life on alcohol's terms. Had to stop squinting at the horizon, and do today instead.

Yes, it gets better. Times passes and time does help heal. Some people get things restored to them, others get a new beginning, and some get another chance or outlook. Have to find which silver lining belongs to us, I was so jealous of the other guys.