Thread: Rock Bottom
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 12:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
MelindaFlowers

Originally Posted by 12345678900000 View Post
I just don't want them to hold a grudge against me or hold it over my head.
When I was still drinking I was worried that if I told my parents that meant I couldn't drink again. I did not tell them so I always had that free pass in my back pocket to drink again without anybody noticing. When I finally decided to stop drinking I told my mom that I don't drink anymore. I also told my close friends. It was not a huge declaration or anything. I didn't even use the word "alcoholic." Just that I was not drinking anymore.

I say you have two choices:
1. Don't tell your parents and stop drinking
2. Tell your parents and stop drinking

The telling your parents part is about 1% as important as the stopping drinking part. After a few weeks or months they will probably ask and you can say "I don't drink anymore."

There is no grudge to hold against a non-drinker. The circus charades and destruction stop when the drinking stops. There will be no more horror stories to forgive or worry about. It really doesn't matter what you tell them. I didn't tell anyone until I had about a month away from drinking and I knew I was actually going to do it. I am a big believer in showing with our actions by not drinking. We can stand on our head, cry, throw shoes across the room but we just can't drink. Not ever.

There is really nothing to hold over your head if you're sober. Even if you did cause chaor while you drank, everyone will be relieved and happy that you don't drink and the memories of the chaos will quickly fade.