Old 09-06-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Croissant

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
It's like I'm yelling into this long tunnel and hearing nothing but my own echo. They're really gone. And I'm suddenly finding myself on the other end, and here's reality, real life, regular, sober people and I'm expected to be a normal, sober person and function normally. Lol. It's like a great big joke life played on me.

No, I'm not feeling sorry for myself one bit. It's just almost unbelievable to me.
Sorry it's a bit upsetting for you. Why aren't families like the Brady Bunch...lol. (Although, where the hell were their Grandparents? Hmmm.)

I completely get the dysfunctional thing. I think my Father hates that my every interaction and when I tell him how I feel about something, it's a sober opinion, he can't just dismiss it and say I was drinking. He also can't get away with sarcasm or nastiness anymore with me, that I probably laughed off when drinking - so we have very limited interactions now.

With your grandfather, (which I've noticed with my Father) he could just be simply changing with age, also. Some people just don't like "entertaining" as they get older. I also noticed my grandmother (who was lovely and the sweetest woman ever) probably started to feel old in her 80s and used to tell me I had better things to do than visit her (I still did). I think she just didn't want me to see her aging and was sad she couldn't be my active grandma and do things, cook dinner etc. I know she felt like a young person trapped in an older, aging body.

Do what your heart tells you to do. It won't hurt to visit. It doesn't have to be a long one, but enough to put your mind at rest that you at least tried - because it seems from your posts that you want to.