View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
OpioPhobe

Brian - you have your work cut out for you, but it is doable. Here are a few things that helped me:

1) Music Videos - it was great to watch these during the nights. The nights were the worst for me. Writhing in bed and trying to go to sleep was probably the worst part of everything. I eventually just gave up on sleep and accepted the fact that when I was tired enough I would go to sleep.

2) Force Yourself to Eat and Drink Water - even if you are nauseous and don't feel like it. Eat something anyway even if you are going to puke it back up. Peanut butter sandwiches were the best because they were solid food, and a little bit of it goes a long way.

3) Hot Bathes for RLS - the best thing I found for the restless legs / pain was a hot bath. Showers sucked because you have to remain standing.

4) Reduce Access - it is impossible to completely eliminate access, but I found that having immediate access made it impossible to stop. If you contact your dealer via phone then write down all of the numbers that you need to keep and drop it in the sink if you have to.

5) One on One Support - if there is someone near you that can help you get through it in person that can be helpful. I must say that if you ask someone to invest the time to come and sit with you through part of it don't expect your relationship with them to be the same if it doesn't work out. I was on the receiving end of that one, and even though I had personal experience with addiction it was very frustrating to have tried to help a close friend and to watch them fail.

6) Do Some Sort of Exercise - even if it is just walking around the block. People swear by aerobic exercise, but I just couldn't do it in the very beginning.

7) Timing - so long as I was eating something and drinking enough water it would start easing up some by the 4th day. I had been daily for a long time (~8 years) when I went CT. That was comprised of OCs for the early years and then Opana near the end and H at the very end. It was pretty high doses over the whole period and very high over the last year. Going CT my symptoms peaked ~72 hours, but others I have known that used for short periods of time peaked sooner. I was clean for 1.5 years and then had about a 6 month run starting in the latter part of last year. I quit the H again in February of this year.

Those are a few thoughts on withdrawal that come to mind.