Old 09-04-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
MrSticky

Not sure - I might give it a try though

Please excuse my phrasing - I am not a native English speaker.

I did not have a drink since last January and it took a great deal of willpower - many of you guys probably know what it takes to stop.
My plan is to continue totally sober until next January and then I MIGHT try to drink with moderation.
I understand that starting drinking would bring in a much higher risk of relapse and am not sure if it's worth it - I am getting more and more used to staying sober, so why risk it then? For the few social events when all the normal (non-alcoholic) people have a few glasses and I would very much like to join in? Dunno yet, I'll mull over it
If I will decide to go with it I will set some very strict rules - no more than 14 a week or 4 in a day and only on social occasions - never alone.
Right now I am following a very strict rule (do not drink anything) so if I will follow another one with the same resolve, all would be OK, I guess.

If I ever decide to do it - I will document it on the forum and let you know how it goes.

I found a study online stating that half of the recovering alcoholics in US are moderating with success, but cannot post the link because I'm new to the forum, but you can google for "alcohoolics can recover" David J. Hanson, Ph.D and find it.